Saturday, March 10, 2012




The Conundrum of Splitting Embroidery Floss
I'm hoping somebody out in computerland can help me here.  I learned how to split floss the old-fashioned way: cut the length you want, hold one end in your teeth, and start pulling the other end apart into the proper number of strands.  Okay, it's not very polished and mannerly, but it does get the job done.

I consulted the Google "how to's" and found a couple of alternative methods.  One method is to split out one strand at a time - doable, but still liable to tangles.  The other is to cut slits in an index card or empty toilet tissue roll, put the desired number of threads in each slit, and slowly unroll the entire skein around your object.  This should work, but pigs should have wings, too.

This business of splitting the thread slowly around a card or tissue roll is especially calamitous for metallic threads, acrylic, and rayon.  These will curl up and twist at the slightest opportunity anyway.

So, if anybody out there knows a better way, please email me at peaypatch@gmail.com and tell me what you do.  In the meantime, I'll keep embroidering in private and use my teeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment