Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lady Cats Go Visiting in a 1929 Chevrolet
This is the joy of having relatives who keep old magazines.  You have to cull them, of course.  But, if you're an artist, there are some you definitely need to save.  This picture came from a 1929 Better Homes & Gardens saved by a great aunt.  Even advertisements of this era are painting fodder!
 
These two obviously upper class lady cats are enjoying their trip in an upscale Chevrolet that retailed for $595.  In 1929, that might as well have been six or seven figures, especially after the Crash.  Still, these magazines were published and advertised such pricey products for those who could afford them.
 
It's fun to look back at the styles and technologies of yesteryear.  For instance, I have reproduced the very large steering wheel and the gear shift as faithfully as I could.  The somber car colors I have used are typical of the first cars I personally can remember.  When I was a child, my parents had a 1937 Ford.  My grandparents had a 1939 Ford that was a light green and was constantly being polished and wiped down by my grandmother.  It wasn't until the late 1940's and early 1950's  that colorful cars became all the rage.

No comments:

Post a Comment