Monday, May 7, 2012

Friends in Winter
This box top shows one of my favorite scenes to paint.  It is adapted from an advertisement in a Paris Opera program of 1912.  The product advertised was what we would call bathrobes, though they look more luxurious and romantic than any bathrobes I've ever seen!

Since this round paper mache box did not present a very big drawing surface, I concentrated on head and shoulder shots using a variety of models.  Pictured are four versions of Maria Callas, but the box also includes paintings inspired by Marlena Dietrich, Katherine Hepburn, and Kiki of Montparnasse.

Now that I've got a larger market than street fairs, I'm trying to do more wooden boxes instead of the cheaper paper mache.  You can expect to see my Paris Opera bathrobe cats again on other items. 
Here is a version I put on a refrigerator magnet.  I'll be sending a free magnet of some amusing picture with each purchase from Peaypatch.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment